ewaffle

New format for HKMDB?

Post  ewaffle on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:37 pm

No more google ads?

Masterofoneinchpunch

Re: New format for HKMDB?

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:37 am

ewaffle wrote:No more google ads?

I still see adds, just not on the front page.

New fonts (or at least a smaller size) are used though. I don't like that the Latest Film Reviews
    shows only Four on the front page.
    ewaffle

Post  ewaffle on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:
    ewaffle wrote:No more google ads?

I still see adds, just not on the front page.

New fonts (or at least a smaller size) are used though. I don't like that the Latest Film Reviews
    shows only Four on the front page.

Oops. Now that I clicked past the front page....
    Brian T

Post  Brian T on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I don't like that the Latest Film Reviews shows only Four on the front page.

He'll probably change that. Ideas, when they're implemented, are often tested in real-time, which is always interesting. Wink Of course, now that feedback is verboten, maybe four's the max? Who knows. I'm intrigued, naturally . . .
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Is it my imagination (this is for non-mods and non-editors) but once you add a review you can no longer modify it?
    ewaffle

Post  ewaffle on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Is it my imagination (this is for non-mods and non-editors) but once you add a review you can no longer modify it?

If so it is my imagination as well. I posted a review yesterday and wanted to make a couple of small changes but wasn't able
    to do so.

Most annoying and another in a growing stack of reasons for me to delete all my reviews and post them on a blog--unless I am not able to delete them. If that's the case I will just insist that Bob remove them from the site himself.
    dleedlee

Post  dleedlee on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:51 pm

ewaffle wrote:
    Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Is it my imagination (this is for non-mods and non-editors) but once you add a review you can no longer modify it?

If so it is my imagination as well. I posted a review yesterday and wanted to make a couple of small changes but wasn't able
    to do so.

Most annoying and another in a growing stack of reasons for me to delete all my reviews and post them on a blog--unless I am not able to delete them. If that's the case I will just insist that Bob remove them from the site himself.

Why don't you shoot him an e-mail? He might not be aware of it and it might not be intentional.

. I don't like that the Latest Film Reviews shows only Four on the front page.
    I'm intrigued, naturally . . .

I asked Bob about this recently and he agreed, he said he was still fooling around with the home page format.
    Better to light a...oh, never mind. Rolling Eyes
    ewaffle

Post  ewaffle on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:10 pm

ewaffle wrote:

to do so.

I did--he responded when I asked about access to the "actors identification" forum and probably will this time.

My difficulty is that HKMDB is not as easy to use or even as much fun as it has been in the past so there is simply less reason for me to participate in adding (or even maintaining) content if it becomes more difficult to access each time Bob decides to tweak something.

dleedlee

Post  dleedlee on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:06 pm

content if it becomes more difficult to access each time Bob decides to tweak something.

Well, people were clamoring for changes! Very Happy
    It's just that Bob just doesn't subscribe to the User Acceptance Testing phase of software implementation. Evil or Very Mad
    Cash

Post  Cash on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:13 pm

If I still had access to HKMDB today I would be at a major disadvantage: my OCD was constantly finding better ways to word my reviews and I often found myself updating (and updating). Unfortunately, last winter I lost my password and repeated requests for a new one have been ignored. A shame, I was using the database as a back-up for my archive.
    Brian T

Post  Brian T on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Hell, I didn't even realize this feature was still available to us! Laughing I haven't logged in since early last month, but doing so just now reveals that the "add a review" feature is indeed accessible, even if the forums are not. Still, I'm not feeling overly motivated to take advantage of it these days . . .

ewaffle wrote:Most annoying and another in a growing stack of reasons for me to delete all my reviews and post them on a blog--unless I am not able to delete them. If that's the case I will just insist that Bob remove them from the site himself.
    Seriously, Ed, you should consider collecting your work at your own blog or web site regardless of whether they stay put at HKMDB. You're the top contributor by word count, and your stuff -- like that of several other contributors with unique voices -- deserves a home of its own. Preferably one you can monetize. No sense in just one guy making scratch of your labours. I've been toying with a similar idea myself. My review list at HKMDB pales in comparison to those built up by the rest of you, but it also represents a tiny fraction of what I've written. I just never felt like increasing my tally until I saw some encouraging signs. Three months after the lockout -- three months!! -- and I'm sadly still not encouraged. But I do have this interesting program called iWeb that came with my new laptop... Wink

ewaffle wrote:My difficulty is that HKMDB is not as easy to use or even as much fun as it has been in the past
    Of course it isn't. He fired all the fun people! (everybody, in other words) Sadly, this wasn't the first time...

dleedlee wrote:I asked Bob about this recently and he agreed, he said he was still fooling around with the home page format.
    Better to light a...oh, never mind. Rolling Eyes
    I've always envied you your patience, Dennis, even as I've stomped on your candles over the years. Laughing

dleedlee wrote:Well, people were clamoring for changes! Very Happy
    As the one who clamored the loudest (and loooonngest), I can say with certainty that "fooling around with the home page", again, was somewhere near the bottom of my wish list. Said fooling has also now removed my name from the "top reviewers" list, as well as the names several other people (including Bob himself!), which means the work of these people will now only be discovered if someone stumbles across it. Also, limiting the "newest reviews" section to the five latest contributions tends to make "Mr. Blue" -- whose reviews are frustratingly spare and almost always lacking synopses of any kind -- seem like the sole reviewer the majority of the time.

As a graphic designer, I can admit I'd make a very poor I.T. guy . . .

dleedlee wrote:It's just that Bob just doesn't subscribe to the User Acceptance Testing phase of software implementation. Evil or Very Mad
    The irony of this is that he openly solicited suggestions from us at various times, and supported a great many of them in principle, which in turn lead to that lengthy thread of excellent ideas to improve both editor capabilities and the end-user experience. Sadly, that thread (were we even able to see it now) featured contributions from other once-passionate members who eventually vacated the premises, either by force or out of sheer frustration. I also recall a post suggesting he was going to accept assistance (editorial and possibly even technical, IIRC) from users who felt like obliging. That too went nowhere, as Shawn can no doubt attest. Sad

Cash wrote:Unfortunately, last winter I lost my password and repeated requests for a new one have been ignored.
    I think this bothers me more than anything about this whole affair. Several of you here have tried to contact him and have been completely cut off. Why? Because you only participated in the forums -- the community -- and didn't upload portraits and credit screens? So it follows that were you given the opportunity to contribute such files, you simply wouldn't, and are therefore unworthy of access? That's fairly presumptuous. It's not like anyone can even have a discussion there anyways as long as the relevant forums are locked, presumably for good. That makes the lack of response seem all the more hurtful.

Cash wrote:A shame, I was using the database as a back-up for my archive.
    I trust you at least have them backed up on your computer, or elsewhere, or have cut-and-pasted them from the HKMDB for safe keeping?

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 am

dleedlee wrote:... It's just that Bob just doesn't subscribe to the User Acceptance Testing phase of software implementation. Evil or Very Mad

OK, I found this funny Very Happy Bob like's the waterfall approach.

Cal, put in the gosh darn multi-quote buttons Smile.

brian wrote:That too went nowhere, as Shawn can no doubt attest.

Word.
    ewaffle

Post  ewaffle on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:02 am

I received a return email from Bob saying he would fix the "edit" function for one's own posts which was eliminated in error.
    Brian T

Post  Brian T on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:39 am

ewaffle wrote:I received a return email from Bob saying he would fix the "edit" function for one's own posts which was eliminated in error.
    I just logged in, went to my reviews, and do not see the edit button. Anyone else? Guess I'll wait it out; there's always the possibility that he just hasn't gotten around to it yet.

dleedlee

Post  dleedlee on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:07 am

Brian T wrote:
    ewaffle wrote:I received a return email from Bob saying he would fix the "edit" function for one's own posts which was eliminated in error.
    I just logged in, went to my reviews, and do not see the edit button. Anyone else? Guess I'll wait it out; there's always the possibility that he just hasn't gotten around to it yet.

I see it now. Right under Reviews.
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:16 am

Brian T wrote:

I was able to, but you have to go to the movie itself and then click on "Edit Review/Score". The "Edit" now shows up when it did not before. Try that.

Also it seems the top reviewers are the top 10 active. I think you just need to beat Beat TG.
    Brian T

Post  Brian T on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 am

dleedlee wrote:I see it now. Right under Reviews.
    Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I was able to, but you have to go to the movie itself and then click on "Edit Review/Score". The "Edit" now shows up when it did not before. Try that.
    I do see it there now. It was definitely invisible to me earlier. Fast turnaround, I must say! Razz

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Also it seems the top reviewers are the top 10 active. I think you just need to beat Beat TG.

That was my complaint actually; that it was now a list of "active" reviewers only. Maybe I'm misremembering, but the old version was simply "top reviewers" (possibly defined by word count or review count), and I'm certain it numbered more than ten and thus at least gave a little plug to the semi-regulars (like myself) as well as the regulars. Perhaps making it a list of "active" reviewers is meant to "encourage" people to increase their contributions in order to make the list. You could be right, though; maybe it's been this way all along. It's been awhile since I posted a review, so perhaps I've simply fallen down the list. Best to just keep an eye on the developments, methinks. For now, I'm just glad that reviewers still have control over their own contributions.
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:44 am

Brian T wrote: ...That was my complaint actually; that it was now a list of "active" reviewers only. Maybe I'm misremembering, but the old version was simply "top reviewers" (possibly defined by word count or review count), and I'm certain it numbered more than ten and thus at least gave a little plug to the semi-regulars (like myself) as well as the regulars. Perhaps making it a list of "active" reviewers is meant to "encourage" people to increase their contributions in order to make the list. You could be right, though; maybe it's been this way all along. It's been awhile since I posted a review, so perhaps I've simply fallen down the list. Best to just keep an eye on the developments, methinks. For now, I'm just glad that reviewers still have control over their own contributions.

It has actually changed a bit over the years (I've kept track of it). It has been active, it has been all, now it is back to active. The amount shown has also changed over the years. One time since my name was too long it was taken off. I complained and it got back on with the name you now see Masterpnch Very Happy.

I'm actually not sure what defines "active". It could be by login or when you last posted an essay.

Now where do we complain about Mr. Blue's reviews? Very Happy.
    Brian T

Post  Brian T on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:It has actually changed a bit over the years (I've kept track of it). It has been active, it has been all, now it is back to active. The amount shown has also changed over the years.
    Sigh. Superficial changes, back and forth, year in, year out, but rarely ones that make a difference to how the information about these films is displayed, or preferably expanded.

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:One time since my name was too long it was taken off. I complained and it got back on with the name you now see Masterpnch Very Happy.
    Is there some benefit to limiting the length of usernames? Do they cause some kind of problem on the programming side of a site if they're too long? Is it just a visual thing? I guess I'm just trying to understand the rationale behind a decision like this (over other changes someone like myself might think were more useful), and obviously asking the source could be dangerous...

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Now where do we complain about Mr. Blue's reviews? Very Happy.
    Hey, he's as entitled to his views -- whatever their length -- as the rest of us. He's obviously a viewing machine, so my own disappointment tends to stem from the fact that he's watching tons of movies I haven't seen, don't own, and for which he's often the only reviewer, yet I have no idea what the films are actually about! Laughing I shouldn't complain though, the internet is littered with reviews such like that.
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Brian T wrote:...
    Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:One time since my name was too long it was taken off. I complained and it got back on with the name you now see Masterpnch Very Happy.
    Is there some benefit to limiting the length of usernames? Do they cause some kind of problem on the programming side of a site if they're too long? Is it just a visual thing? I guess I'm just trying to understand the rationale behind a decision like this (over other changes someone like myself might think were more useful), and obviously asking the source could be dangerous...

It was a visual thing because of the size of the box and it caused an extra line spillover at the time. They do not cause an issue because of length.
    Cash

Post  Cash on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:22 am

I think this bothers me more than anything about this whole affair. Several of you here have tried to contact him and have been completely cut off. Why? Because you only participated in the forums -- the community -- and didn't upload portraits and credit screens? So it follows that were you given the opportunity to contribute such files, you simply wouldn't, and are therefore unworthy of access? That's fairly presumptuous. It's not like anyone can even have a discussion there anyways as long as the relevant forums are locked, presumably for good. That makes the lack of response seem all the more hurtful.

I even went for broke recently and applied for a new ID. That request, too, was ignored. I have since fallen off as a main [review] contributor as a direct result. This is what stung for me more than anything. Now, the only time I visit the HKMDB is for credit information when a lull in the schedule has afforded a new review. But I fear matters could eventually devolve to an earlier time when only members had access to full credits. As you and I already know the IMDB is a poor substitute.

I trust you at least have them backed up on your computer, or elsewhere, or have cut-and-pasted them from the HKMDB for safe keeping?

Truthfully...I thought as a Top Reviewer I was a valued contributor and would use the site as my archive. This was my own ignorance. This weekend I will begin backing them up on my computer.
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:23 am

^ Forgot that your username was Chungking_Cash Very Happy. Not sure why he is ignoring your PM. I sent him one (it was ignored). Maybe we have to email him. Anyone have his email address?
    dleedlee

Post  dleedlee on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:16 am

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:^ Forgot that your username was Chungking_Cash Very Happy. Not sure why he is ignoring your PM. I sent him one (it was ignored). Maybe we have to email him. Anyone have his email address?

Bob's posts always said to email him, don't know whether he sees PMs or not.

Teddy Wong had the same problem. Check your PM or PM me.

Cash

Post  Cash on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Yup, that's me...good ole Chungking_Cash. I'm good with Cash these days...Adam works too. Cool I'm glad to see the band is back together for the most part.
    Brian T

Post  Brian T on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Cash wrote:As you and I already know the IMDB is a poor substitute.
    Indeed, but it's a successful model that the HKMDB should've tried harder to emulate further to a certain degree (through measured expansion of services, monetization, redesign, etc). Instead, it was treated like the site-that-dare-not-speak-its-name on a few occasions when it was brought up.

Cash wrote:Truthfully...I thought as a Top Reviewer I was a valued contributor and would use the site as my archive. This was my own ignorance. This weekend I will begin backing them up on my computer.
    Good to know you'll have a backup. Because of the HKMDB's niche nature (at least in comparison to IMDB), and Bob's tendency toward (to crib a Dennis Lee-ism here) "draconian measures", I've never been 100% convinced it will be around when I'm an old, old man, or that my reviews won't be subject to purging if I overstepped a line I didn't know existed, despite his repeated assurances over the years that that the site is not going away anytime soon (except for that one time, pre-Google-ads, when we were asked to pony up cash to keep it from going away sometime soon Wink ). Oddly enough, I have several reviews at both Amazon and IMDB that are not backed up on my computer, but I fear less for them because those sites are administered by many, many people, and have taken the steps necessary to dominate their specialities to such a degree that the only threat to their existence would be the ultimate demise of the internet itself (probably around the time we're all plugged into the Matrix anyways, so it will hardly matter by then Laughing ).

dleedlee wrote:Bob's posts always said to email him, don't know whether he sees PMs or not.Teddy Wong had the same problem.
    If I'd known you guys were PM'ing him all these months you've been telling me about it, I'd have spoken up sooner!! I mistakenly assumed that many of you previously had some form of off-site communication with him, and were trying to contact him that way. I've always received responses from him via email, even over contentious issues, although his last one to me in early January, in response to a lengthy one from me that he admitted he largely hadn't even read Crying or Very sad , really stung. It was a point-form lecture, of sorts, that specifically addressed issues I'd never even brought up in the forums or in private, as well as a couple of other issues that ceased to be issues for me (or anyone else) nearly two years ago. That's when I decided that rather than return another response that might not be fully read, it might be better to take a communication break and continue plowing through my stacks 'o discs!

The possibility that Bob doesn't check for (or receive) PMs makes me wonder if there are others out there in the wilderness who've tried to contact him the same way, or don't know about Calnando's Hideaway here, and who might now feel like they've been expelled without reason...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:12 am