Heroes of the East

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Heroes of the East

Film discussion and banter

5 posters

New format for HKMDB?

Cash
    Cash

New format for HKMDB? - Page 2 Empty Re: New format for HKMDB?

Post  Cash Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Good to know you'll have a backup. Because of the HKMDB's niche nature (at least in comparison to IMDB), and Bob's tendency toward (to crib a Dennis Lee-ism here) "draconian measures", I've never been 100% convinced it will be around when I'm an old, old man, or that my reviews won't be subject to purging if I overstepped a line I didn't know existed, despite his repeated assurances over the years that that the site is not going away anytime soon (except for that one time, pre-Google-ads, when we were asked to pony up cash to keep it from going away sometime soon ).

I remember, at the time, feeling ill at ease with a guilt trip to spare a little. This request was made exempt for the top contributors and I rationed while my word count did not rival folks who seemingly submit daily I was still contributing meaningfully and often enough to sleep at night without giving the matter much deliberation.

Oddly enough, I have several reviews at both Amazon and IMDB that are not backed up on my computer, but I fear less for them because those sites are administered by many, many people, and have taken the steps necessary to dominate their specialities to such a degree that the only threat to their existence would be the ultimate demise of the internet itself (probably around the time we're all plugged into the Matrix anyways, so it will hardly matter by then ).

Another possibility would be if you were to pen a cogent review on Amazon castigating Thomas Weisser's specious Asian Cult Cinema that proved such an electronic opprobrium that they [Amazon] were forced to truncate it or remove it outright in fear of an abate in sales. Razz
    Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:51 pm

Cash wrote:Another possibility would be if you were to pen a cogent review on Amazon castigating Thomas Weisser's specious Asian Cult Cinema that proved such an electronic opprobrium that they [Amazon] were forced to truncate it or remove it outright in fear of an abate in sales. Razz

Heheh, clearly I must assume you recall that that's exactly what I did. Thankfully, once they removed my surreptitiously-expanding review of his book, I waited for a nice long time, then posted another, much briefer one, more or less as a placeholder. It has been there ever since. This reminds me I must really get to work expanding it one of these days, bit by bit, since I'm sad to report that I still see his book on the shelves of local booksellers who've clearly never had a chance to experience my torpedo of truth... Laughing

EDIT: Couldn't resist digging up this old corpse. So many souls no longer with us... Wink
    Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:39 am

Brian T wrote:... Good to know you'll have a backup...
    ...The possibility that Bob doesn't check for (or receive) PMs makes me wonder if there are others out there in the wilderness who've tried to contact him the same way, or don't know about Calnando's Hideaway here, and who might now feel like they've been expelled without reason...

Always have a backup regardless of site.

As an admin I cannot understand not answering your PMs. It's your site you should know the settings, especially with PMs.

So far the only review I have not been able to get up on Amazon was my The Odd One Dies. I rewrote it and sent it in over 10 times with many different changes and they never excepted it. I do not know why. So if anyone gets bored maybe they can tell me why.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 pm