Heroes of the East

Film discussion and banter

HKMDB editors question

Teddy Wong

HKMDB editors question

Post  Teddy Wong on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:40 pm

There was an editor with nickname Young master. He is from Sweden.
    His last post was from 2009, so, I guess, he isn't on HKMDB anymore.
    Does anybody know how can I contact him?

Bearserk

Re: HKMDB editors question

Post  Bearserk on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:18 pm

I thought I had his email address somewhere, but I might be wrong, will look some more when I have the time.

If there are anything I can help with, just send me a message :-)

Teddy Wong

Post  Teddy Wong on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:22 pm

A couple of years ago he added movie "Bloody triad".
    I wanted to ask, where did he find info about this movie, because I think it's just a bootleg title of "Man from Holland".

dleedlee

Post  dleedlee on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Teddy Wong wrote:A couple of years ago he added movie "Bloody triad".
    I wanted to ask, where did he find info about this movie, because I think it's just a bootleg title of "Man from Holland".

You're probably right.
    http://www.cinecentury.com.hk/chi/bloodytriad.htm

Here's a Google-ized translation summary, that at a cursory glance looks similar (not having seen Holland). See if this sounds familiar (or, maybe you've already seen it?):

Punk from the Netherlands is a professional killer, he has this come rain a purpose. First, he received orders to kill a cell; targets the Yamaguchi-gumi is Japan's Ichiro village officials deer. Second, he will want childhood serving senior police officer Leung Wai reunion. The influence of his childhood by the parents, very hated the Japanese, he had no will to solve the deer moved to the village Koizumi. After that, he would immediately go to police station to meet with close friends. Of course, Leung Wai does not know his identity behind.

Hooligan two met in Hong Kong to Amsterdam in September otherwise understanding of rivers and lakes brother Huimin and Dingo. Huimin is a big drug pushers to control the number of drug den. Dingo is a big drug? Week the boss right-hand man. Zhou Huimin using Dingo took away much of the business, so that they mutually exclusive. Act two lakes hooligan brothers set to regain the friendship, surprise, they unite, strengthen forces, and very arrogant.

Leung Wai is a pioneer in anti-drug, often called the iron broken sinus blocking drug den. Early has become a thorn in Huimin and Dingo. One day, the hooligan was ambushed in the parking lot for no reason, Credit goes to Leung Wai rescue. Later, hooligan were aware of his two brothers as rivers and lakes.

Leung Wai injured during a drug raid in hospital, Huimin actually sneaked into the ward beaten Leung Wai. Hooligan in visiting on the way, but unfortunately arrived late step, Leung Wai has been dying.

Seeing close friends died, hooligan less grief, vowing Shouren enemy. After continuous fighting, hooligan then a set Cocoa and Huimin to death, my expectation that he wishes to leave the boarding, the car exploded, with people and vehicles caught in the sea of ​​flames.

Teddy Wong

Post  Teddy Wong on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:59 am

Wow! Thank you!
    According to this summary, it is definitely "Man from Holland". I just wonder if this "new" version has some new footage, like Philip Ko did with "Deadly target" - added some new footage and released it as "Penal reconnaissance".

Brian T

Post  Brian T on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Teddy Wong wrote:Wow! Thank you!
    According to this summary, it is definitely "Man from Holland". I just wonder if this "new" version has some new footage, like Philip Ko did with "Deadly target" - added some new footage and released it as "Penal reconnaissance".

Phillip Ko's output from this period would make a fascinating research project. Just finding his movies -- and apparently their multiple variants -- requires a fair amount of diligence, as Alex can probably attest. Ko was practically a one-man, pan-Asian, DTV mini-studio for several years after Hong Kong cinema went into its temporary decline, and almost no one today (let alone then) gives him his due for providing employment to a great number of Hong Kong "names" during a rather lean period in their careers. Granted, the movies were rarely top-drawer, and some of those same careers may have faded into obscurity after production, but there are some standouts among them. I wish I could get my hands on a lot more of these before existing supplies have vanished with the formats.

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Can we query the HKMDB database by year? I remember at one point you could and I couldn't remember if he kept that way alive?

Also what is the email address of the admin there (I've asked this before, but lost the email)? He doesn't check PMs.

Brian T

Post  Brian T on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:37 pm

bkasten@octavian.net

Hopefully he responds . . .

dleedlee

Post  dleedlee on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Can we query the HKMDB database by year? I remember at one point you could and I couldn't remember if he kept that way alive?

Also what is the email address of the admin there (I've asked this before, but lost the email)? He doesn't check PMs.

I saved an old bookmark:
    http://hkmdb.com/db/search/year_search_entry.mhtml

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:58 pm

You guys are awesome. Thanks.

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:03 pm

One thing that can really help would be a country drop down along with the years. That would help in finding how many HK films in a year Very Happy.

I'm not sure why he doesn't use that link somewhere in the search screens, but I'm afraid to say anything because that might involve getting it removed.

Brian T

Post  Brian T on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:29 am

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:One thing that can really help would be a country drop down along with the years. That would help in finding how many HK films in a year Very Happy.
    That would be a good idea. Shame we'll never see it. Or any of the couple of dozen other suggested over the years.

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I'm afraid to say anything.
    You and just about everyone else. Sad

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:37 am

I really had expected a bit of a cooling down on the whole HKMDB controversy by now. I guess it's never going to happen now. I'm a bit in two minds really - I feel like it's a huge shame, but I don't want to be a part of something I'm not sure I'm welcome at. I guess it says something that I've never gone back to log in and get my name back in the reviews list, even though I'm quite vain like that Embarassed .

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:08 am

Brian T wrote:bkasten@octavian.net

Hopefully he responds . . .

Well not so far.

I think you guys can answer this question. Does the Box Office information page for HKMDB exist in any orphan link? He also removed the BO information on all individual movie titles as well (not sure why; does anyone know why?).

Also if you can tell him to allow non-editors to see the two editing areas (like last year)that would be great.

Brian T

Post  Brian T on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Well not so far.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if he knows about this forum, and is maintaining his stance accordingly, if clearly counter-productively.

Meanwhile, IMDB has this cool app that I'm using on my iPod . . .

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I think you guys can answer this question. Does the Box Office information page for HKMDB exist in any orphan link? He also removed the BO information on all individual movie titles as well (not sure why; does anyone know why?).
    Because he can? Wink

However, and possibly in defense of his decision to remove the stats, some people have questioned the validity of HKMDB Box Office info over the years (possibly rightfully), and I've long wondered where much of it materialized from, and whether it was accurate, attributed, adjusted for inflation after-the-fact, etc.

Thankfully, Box Office Mojo HAS been keeping track of Hong Kong box-office since 2002. Obviously, this won't be of any use if you're looking for figures prior to 2002, but it's quite handy otherwise.

Viewable by week:
    http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/hongkong/?yr=2011&wk=36&p=.htm

Or by year:
    http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/hongkong/yearly/

. . . or other ways, too. Smile

It's particularly helpful to supplement the reading of newer Hong Kong movie reviews with this kind of information, especially the reviews at LoveHKFilm, where they roundly dislike so many local movies these days--if not all of them--that you have to wonder why they even bother. At least with the BO figures, you know if a movie was well-received by the public (or not). Obviously, that's not a signifier of quality, but it in a cinema as blatantly commercial as Hong Kong's, sometimes popularity (or lack thereof) on domestic soil has to be at least partly taken into consideration, especially by non-natives. What we may perceive to be below-grade material might actually speak volumes to, and about, the home audience, and therefore merit reevaluation. Not always, of course, but sometimes . . .

Also if you can tell him to allow non-editors to see the two editing areas (like last year)that would be great.
    I'm honestly not sure if he realizes the DISadvantages of blocking those forums from view of all but a handful of participants. I'll likely never upload anything directly to the site from here on out, but if I had access to those threads, I could at least contact insiders directly to give them additional info I might have, or screencaps to upload as their own.

Strange situation . . .

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Thank you Brian. I've been using HKFA's Box office values when they have them for the older films. I was wondering if that page had been saved by any of you or if it was even still in existence.

I'm really not trying to make trouble or be an arrogant jerk (I do enough of that elsewhere), I really want the best for HKMDB. The quality of HKMDB is going to go down if less people are able to mention the mistakes and/or make additions/subtractions. We have good knowledge that is being ignored Very Happy.

It is strange the stance Lovehkfilm as taken toward newer films. It is weird because so many of their older reviews are overly positive. I tend to take more of a pragmatic approach to criticism. Seriously I love film.

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:33 pm

OK, I see now that Additions and Modifications and Actor Identification are open again to non-editors. That is good.

Now I wish I had kept the notes of the changes Very Happy. But from now on I'll start putting things again there.

Brian T

Post  Brian T on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Interesting news, but obviously those sections are still invisible to me, presumably because of my "editor" status, which I don't intend to use again anyways. Oh well, just another day at the office. Perhaps the big guy realized that cutting off non-editors wasn't exactly the best way to grow a struggling database? Good to know you can at least contribute now. Wink

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:28 am

Bug on the site: the reviews seem to be gone. Yes all of them.

Brian T

Post  Brian T on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 am

Interesting. Have then been gone long? Regardless, I'm sure they're restorable one way or another. I'm curious if it's at last part of the housecleaning (to remove vast quantities of non-reviews and borderline offensive one-liners) that was suggested/requested something like five years ago, or just the usual routine, unconventional maintenance.

Last edited by Brian T on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:08 am

Brian T wrote:Interesting. Have then been gone long? Regardless, I'm sure they're restorable one way or another. I'm curious if it's at last part of the housecleaning (to remove the vast quantities of non-reviews and borderline offensive one-liners) that was suggested/requested something like five years ago, or just the usual routine, unconventional maintenance.

They were there last week. I'm hoping this is just a boo-boo, otherwise it is one of the most evil and heinous things ever done on that site.

Brian T

Post  Brian T on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:23 am

Despite my contentious and ultimately tiring history with the brass, I wouldn't go so far as 'evil and heinous'. It was the Alpha behaviour that drove me away for good, unfortunately. It'll definitely make certain reviews a bit harder to write once I get back into that process, especially for all of the movies I now own (thanks to Toronto's bargain wonderland) that aren't very well represented there, many not at all (or at any other sites for that matter).

Thankfully, there will always be the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. A few years back, I actually thought HKMDB had been deliberately blocked from being archived by this site, but while the backups appear to have been patchy some years, they continued at least through 2011. However, the "reviews" link is strangely missing from individual listings even on the various back-up dates I tested for that year, BUT, thankfully, you can access most (probably all) of the then-available reviews if you click around enough, as front page contribution listings are still intact and from there you can click on one review, then click the user's name to see the rest of his contributions.
    http://wayback.archive.org/web/20120615000000*/http://www.hkmdb.com

Or better yet, bookmark this:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20050119040122/http://www.hkmdb.com/db/reviews/show_review.mhtml?id=4702
    Found it through random clicking, and I'm not sure why it only seems to be a part of one of STSH's standard Cat. III reviews, but those "reviews by title" and "reviews by user" bars across the top will might come in handy if the current issue persists or recurs.

Smile

P.S. If you are concerned about the online presence of your reviews one day being lost/deleted from the old roost, I'd suggest copying them via the WayBack machine (or from your own computer) and posting them on IMDB as well, just so there's a more visible alternative for your work if and when a disappearance like this happens in the future.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20101217105629/http://hkmdb.com/db/reviews/list.mhtml?sort=review&first_letter=Masterofoneinchpunch

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:50 am

Brian T wrote:...P.S. If you are concerned about the online presence of your reviews one day being lost/deleted from the old roost, I'd suggest copying them via the WayBack machine (or from your own computer) and posting them on IMDB as well, just so there's a more visible alternative for your work if and when a disappearance like this happens in the future.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20101217105629/http://hkmdb.com/db/reviews/list.mhtml?sort=review&first_letter=Masterofoneinchpunch

I keep copies as well as post them on Amazon, IMDB (hate their 1000 word limit) and various other sites Very Happy.

I'm sure the reviews will pop back on HKMDB, it just the thought of losing so much information that upsets me. I always read peoples reviews there.

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Woo hoo, the reviews are back. Thank goodness.

Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:17 pm

I really don't like the Add system on HKMDB. It really does drive me away from going there.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:00 pm