Heroes of the East

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Heroes of the East

Film discussion and banter

2 posters

Columbia/Tristar Asian DVD R1 Releases

Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Columbia/Tristar Asian DVD R1 Releases Empty Columbia/Tristar Asian DVD R1 Releases

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am

I've been wanting to know all these releases of R1 Asian films from this particular label (I am only missing a few of the non-Japanese ones; have all the individual HK ones). The USA portion is more for my own benefit. I might later add info to possible issues with the various releases like OOP and other interesting facts. If I'm missing something please tell me.

Columbia/Tristar Asian DVD R1 Releases

China
    Beijing Bicycle (2001)
    Big Shot's Funeral (2001)
    The Emperor and the Assassin (1998)
    Happy Times (2000)
    The King of Masks (1996)
    The Missing Gun (2002)
    Not One Less (1999)
    Quitting (2001)
    The Road Home (1999)
    Shadow Magic (2000)
    Shanghai Triad (1995)
    Shower (1999)
    Warriors of Heaven and Earth (2003)
    Zhou Yu's Train (2002)

Hong Kong
    Another Meltdown (1998)
    Black Dragon (1989)
    Black Mask 2: City of Masks (2002)
    Contract Killer (1998)
    Double Vision (2002)
    Dragon Fist (1979)
    Drunken Master (1978)
    Fearless Hyena (1979)
    Fearless Hyena 2 (1983)
    Fist of the Red Dragon (1993)
    Full Contact (1992)
    Gen-X-Cops (1999)
    Gorgeous (1999)
    Half a Loaf of Kung Fu (1980)
    Jackie Chan Gift Set - Miracles/Who Am I?/Gorgeous
    Jackie Chan is The Prisoner (1990)
    Jackie Chan's Who Am I? (1998)
    The Killer Meteors (1976)
    Legend of the Red Dragon (1994)
    The Medallion (2003)
    Meltdown (1995)
    Miracles (1998) Edited version of Black Dragon
    New Fist of Fury (1976)
    Once A Thief (1991)
    Once Upon A Time In China (1991)
    Once Upon A Time in China 2 (1992)
    Once Upon A Time In China 3 (1993)
    OUATIC Collection 1,2,3 (box set)
    OUATIC Trilogy (one box w 3/discs)
    Shaolin Wooden Men (1976)
    Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin (1978)
    Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978)
    So Close (2002)
    Spiritual Kung Fu (1978)
    Time and Tide (2000)
    To Kill With Intrigue (1977)
    Tokyo Raiders (2000)
    Tsui Hark's Vampire Hunters (2002)
    Vampire Effect (2003)

Japan
    Brother (2000)
    Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (2001)
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001)
    Godzilla 2000 (1999)
    Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
    4 different Godzilla DVD Collections
    Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
    Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)
    Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
    Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
    Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) / Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992)
    Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
    Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 (1993)
    Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)
    Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla (1994) / Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
    Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (1966)
    Kikujiro (1999)
    Metropolis (2001)
    Rebirth of Mothra (1996) / Rebirth of Mothra 2 (1997)
    Returner (2002)
    The Sea is Watching (2002)
    Son of Godzilla (1967)
    Taboo (1999)
    Tokyo Godfathers (2003)

Korea
    Shiri (1999)
    Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)
    Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War (2003)
    Tube (2003)

Taiwan
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) also part of two different Sony Pictures Classics 10th Anniversary sets.

Thailand
    The Legend of Suriyothai (2001)

USA
    Double Team (1997) Columbia Only
    Eat a Bowl of Tea (1989)
    In Hell (2003) Ringo Lam
    Knock Off (1998) Tsui Hark
    Maximum Risk (1996) Ringo Lam
    The One (2001) James Wong
    The One (2001) Superbit, James Wong
    Out of Reach (2004) Leong Po-Chih
    Sense and Sensibility (1995) Ang Lee (2 versions)

Vietnam
    The Scent of Green Papaya (1993)
    The Vertical Ray of the Sun (2000)

Last edited by Masterofoneinchpunch on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Brian T
    Brian T

Columbia/Tristar Asian DVD R1 Releases Empty Re: Columbia/Tristar Asian DVD R1 Releases

Post  Brian T Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:16 pm

I believe HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER can be added to your list. They're also included in a boxed set with CROUCHING TIGER. Very Happy

Also:
    A WOMAN, A GUN AND A NOODLE SHOP (China)
    THE WARRIOR, aka MUSA: THE WARRIOR (Korea)
    2046 (Hong Kong/China, I think)
    RIDING ALONE FOR THOUSANDS OF MILES (China) (possibly also Japan?)

You can also add Ching Siu-tung's BELLY OF THE BEAST, starring Steven Seagal, one of the latter's better DTV affairs from his ongoing Pillsbury Period. I believe it was predominantly made with U.S. funds, but also had financial input from Hong Kong and elsewhere.

Also:

Would MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA count? I'm thinking if THE ONE makes the grade (directed by an American; starring a Chinese marquee name), then perhaps it can. I'm also wondering about Tsui Hark's DOUBLE TEAM as a possibility. I don't believe it was shot in Asia, though, but it does have a connection. Philip Martinez' WAKE OF DEATH has Simon Yam in it, for what it's worth.

Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Columbia/Tristar Asian DVD R1 Releases Empty Re: Columbia/Tristar Asian DVD R1 Releases

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:50 am

Brian T wrote:I believe HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER can be added to your list. They're also included in a boxed set with CROUCHING TIGER. Very Happy

Also:
    A WOMAN, A GUN AND A NOODLE SHOP (China)
    THE WARRIOR, aka MUSA: THE WARRIOR (Korea)
    2046 (Hong Kong/China, I think)
    RIDING ALONE FOR THOUSANDS OF MILES (China) (possibly also Japan?)

You can also add Ching Siu-tung's BELLY OF THE BEAST, ...Would MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA count? I'm thinking if THE ONE makes the grade (directed by an American; starring a Chinese marquee name), then perhaps it can. I'm also wondering about Tsui Hark's DOUBLE TEAM as a possibility. I don't believe it was shot in Asia, though, but it does have a connection. Philip Martinez' WAKE OF DEATH has Simon Yam in it, for what it's worth.

I was specifically looking for the Columbia/Tristar label (usually two pictures side by side on the spine).

A WOMAN, A GUN AND A NOODLE SHOP (China) uses the Sony Picture Classics label (there are a lot of those).
    The Warrior: I know this uses the Sony label, I'll check my copy to see if it says Columbia Tristar.
    2046 (Hong Kong/China, I think): This uses the Sony label. I have several copies of this, but none R1 so I can't check yet.
    RIDING ALONE FOR THOUSANDS OF MILES (China) (possibly also Japan?): Also Sony, not sure if it uses the Sony Pictures Classics label, but I'll check. I've been wanting to do a Sony Pictures Classics label catchall.
    BELLY OF THE BEAST: I will double check though I think you are correct.
    DOUBLE TEAM: I can check this soon as well. It looks like you are right though.
    WAKE OF DEATH: I don't ever want to see this again; but will check my label. It looks like you are correct on this.
    Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:04 am

There's probably not much need to double check your copies. Those ones you suspect are Sony are very likely Sony. In fact, DOUBLE TEAM's about the only one I'm fairly certain is Columbia TriStar. I didn't realize you were specifically after Columbia Tri-Star on the label, and since they're both part of the same company, I figured they'd be OK. I looked up most of them on Amazon, where both Sony Pictures and Columbia TriStar DVDs are often listed as being distributed by Sony, which didn't help. Laughing

I am kinda curious now as to why you're only listing DVDs from the one division. Question

Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:06 am

Brian T wrote:There's probably not much need to double check your copies. Those ones you suspect are Sony are very likely Sony. In fact, DOUBLE TEAM's about the only one I'm fairly certain is Columbia TriStar. I didn't realize you were specifically after Columbia Tri-Star on the label, and since they're both part of the same company, I figured they'd be OK. I looked up most of them on Amazon, where both Sony Pictures and Columbia TriStar DVDs are often listed as being distributed by Sony, which didn't help. Laughing

I am kinda curious now as to why you're only listing DVDs from the one division. Question

One of them is anal. Another is that these were some of the first R1s I got and got a lot of (almost all on the list). It also states a specific time when many HK and Asian features were considered pop, pushed by a major company like Fortune Star/Fox R1s and not art centered (like the Sony Picture Classics).

This does not mean they were always bright with what they did. The OUATIC do not have a good print. Several are cut like Legend of the Red Dragon and Meltdown and can easily be found with R0 copies that they do not even try to prevent (like High Risk) unlike Disney (damn Peking Opera Blues Very Happy).

I also never saw anyone else do a list like this (of course I have the best list on R1 Shaw Brothers releases as well Very Happy).

A list like this helps if we were going to write a chapter on the history of Asian releases in R1 Very Happy.

Don't forget since you are a mod, feel free to modify the post and add information if you would like.
    Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Quick note: I noticed that the Double Team was Columbia only when I checked it out at FYE (it's been a few years since I have seen the film). I will think about this Very Happy.
    Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:47 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I will think about this Very Happy.

Think about putting it on the list? If Maximum Risk makes the cut, Double Team should too! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am