Heroes of the East

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Heroes of the East

Film discussion and banter

2 posters

Opening this weekend: THE ARTIST (2011)

Brian T
    Brian T

Opening this weekend: THE ARTIST (2011) Empty Opening this weekend: THE ARTIST (2011)

Post  Brian T Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:20 am

Thought I'd post this reminder, particularly to silent film buff Shawn but equally to anyone else who still visits these forums, that THE ARTIST, Michel Hazanavicius' infectious love letter to Hollywood's silent era, opens in various North American cinemas this weekend. Sadly, it was picked up by the experts at Miramax, so who knows how long, or on how many screens, it will actually play once they've generated enough buzz to net some Oscar nods (which is highly likely), but its definitely worth seeing on the big screen if you get a chance. Oddly enough, it wasn't one of my first picks at last year's TIFF—in fact, it was one of the last couple of films I sort of tossed into my cart just to use up my ticket packages—but it turned out to be one of my two top favorites of the fest.

I should probably have posted this in the 'European Cinema' thread, since technically it's a French film, but it's such a valentine to Hollywood that it seems just as appropriate here. Very Happy

This article on the two leads has more interesting features in the sidebar:
    http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/la-et-artist-actors-20111124,0,2207381.story

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7pfLlsUQM
    Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Opening this weekend: THE ARTIST (2011) Empty Re: Opening this weekend: THE ARTIST (2011)

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Unfortunately this has not been in Modesto. But I will look out for it.
    Brian T
    Brian T

Opening this weekend: THE ARTIST (2011) Empty Re: Opening this weekend: THE ARTIST (2011)

Post  Brian T Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Considering all the critics' awards its been picking up - plus the talk of a possible/probably Best Picture Oscar nomination, among others -- perhaps it will make its way there soon enough. It's only playing on two screens here in Toronto at the moment, but I'm hoping it sticks around awhile as I'd love to catch it one more time on the big screen.

Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:27 am

Just bumping this to see if any of you good folks have seen it yet? That recent BAFTA sweep (among all the other trophies bestowed upon it the past few months) bodes well for the Oscars, although I fear the incessant praise may raise expectations unreasonably. Hopefully not, since it really is a great picture.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:38 am