Heroes of the East

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Heroes of the East

Film discussion and banter

+2
Masterofoneinchpunch
Admin
6 posters

Now watching...

Brian T
    Brian T

Now watching... - Page 10 Empty Re: Now watching...

Post  Brian T Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:02 pm

More recent viewings, again mostly from the library:

PARIS TEXAS (1986) 8/10
    Personally not fond of the ending of this, even if it makes sense and might happen in real life. Harry Dean Stanton's role seems tailor-made. I read a couple of contemporary reviews that praised the "naturalistic" performance of Hunter Carson, but I'm not really sure he was performing, per se. If you've seen him in the other movie he mad in '86, Tobe Hooper's INVADERS FROM MARS, you realize that he's just not much of an actor at all, but rather a kid playing himself, something that works well in PARIS, TEXAS, but obviously didn't peg him for a long acting career.

HUGH HEFNER: PLAYBOY, ACTIVIST AND REBEL (2009) 8/10
    Bordeline hagiography that doesn't dig too deeply into the man's personal peccadilloes, but offers an expansive—if familiar to some pop culture junkies—study of the many ways in which he changed sexual attitudes for the better (or, according to the feminist authors interviewed, for the worse).

DARK VICTORY (1939) 8/10
    Bette Davis at her melodramatic best.

ENIGMA (2001) 6/10
    Ed labelled this both ridiculous and sublime. I'd add dull. This thing nearly put me to sleep several times, something I wouldn't have expected a movie with such a fascinating premise to do. And from further reading afterwards, it became apparent that Enigma takes almost as many liberties with the true-life source as U-571, and leaves out Alan Turing, a key figure in the whole affair who met a rather sad fate. Perhaps there's a decent documentary on the subject out there . . .

AMERICAN SPLENDOR (2003) 9/10

GODSPELL (1973) 7/10
    I'm no Bible guy, but I thought this musical was a generally clever way to present the material, and having the cast dress and behave rather like pie-eyed children was apt. The music—less so the lyrics—was pretty catchy, too.

HAIR (1979) 6/10
    Less impressed with this other ode to the 60's, which clearly came about 10 years too late and brought along a bit too much hindsight that couldn't possibly have been present in the stage version in the late 60's.

WALTZ WITH BASHIR (2008) 8/10
    Beautifully Flash-animated political documentary about events leading up to a massacre of Palestinian refugees in Lebanon at the hands of a Christian militia as payback for the assassination of beloved Lebanese president Bashir Gemayel in 1982, while Israeli forces—nominally in charge of the militia—seemingly turned a blind eye. If it wasn't for the fact that my fellow graphic designer at work is a Lebanese guy who lived there through the period depicted in this film and has occasionally talked about the war, I would've had no grounding. As it was, I still had to pause several times to get my bearings by doing some reading online. A powerful film, not without controversy, I'm sure, but one that benefits from a little (or maybe a lot of) foreknowledge.

CHOP SHOP (2007) 9/10
    Director Ramin Bahrani appeared on my radar for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I signed out his 2008 drama GOODBYE SOLO. This one's even better, an almost documentary-like exploration of the hardscrabble existence of a 12-year-old orphan Latino boy who works in a bustling auto body shop amid bustling acres of similar businesses in an area called the Iron Triangle near Queens, New York, and his efforts to provide a better life for himself and his older sister, who's secretly turning tricks after hours. Virtually all of the actors in this were either first-timers or actual denizens of the Iron Triangle, and such is Bahrani's skill with these people, and his excruciating attention to realism and detail (as seen on screen and reinforced in the commentary), that you soon forget you're watching a pre-written story unfold. Seems like most of his cast have gone back into obscurity for now, but IMDB lists Bahrani's next picture as a much more star-laden vehicle.

LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955) 8/10
    Sensitive treatment about what was then undoubtedly a touchy topic—mixed-race relationships and adultery—especially in Hong Kong, where it's set and where exteriors for the film were shot. It has the expected Hollywood glaze, and Jennifer Jones wasn't exactly half-Chinese (but then who of marquee value was at that time?), but it plays fair by all of the characters - no egregious stereotypes that I could see. Author Han Suyin (real name Rosalie Chow) reportedly never saw the film (at least while it was playing in Singapore, where she lived at the time), and only sold the rights to her autobiographical novel to pay for a badly-needed operation for her adopted Chinese daughter.

PRETTY IN PINK (1986) 7/10
    My other 1986 Harry Dean Stanton movie for this month. Laughing I've seen most of the famed John Hughes 80's movies now (most of them only recently, sadly), and while I recall avoiding them like the plague back then (even though I was firmly a member of the demographic they were marketed to), I've yet to watch one I
    didn't find at least modest enjoyment in.

THE BOX (2009) 7/10
    Despite it being a critical and box-office dog, I actually liked this a bit more than Richard Kelly's cult piece DONNIE DARKO, possibly because he's working here from a script by TWILIGHT ZONE mainstay Richard Matheson, who apparently previously adapted the story into an episode of the 80's ZONE revival. Kelly expands on the material, and expectedly injects his trademark quirkiness here and there, but largely plays it straight, maybe even a bit too straight. Kelly has a knack for generating real tension and strong visuals (and often outre ideas), and I'm curious to see what he would do if he married his unique style to a stronger screenplay that the ones on display in his first three features.

THE WEATHER UNDERGROUND (2002) 8/10
    Fascinating and frustrating documentary about the radical lefty "revolutionary" movement that grew out of Students for a Democratic Society in the U.S. in 1969. I knew a bit about this group going in, and have long believed they did more harm than good to both their own cause and the causes of others they came into contact with (a stance I believe is widely held), but to listen to the now grown-up would-be commies—most of them comfortably ensconced in the "terrible" society they once dreamed of overthrowing—trying to puzzle out what went wrong and admitting only mild regrets about their activities is galling. The filmmakers play fair, though, and aren't seen to condone or decry the group's antics (except in the DVD special features, surprisingly!).

SHANGHAI GHETTO (2002) 7/10
    Plain Jane documentary about 10,000 Jews who escaped the holocaust in Europe during World War II by resettling in . . . Shanghai (no thanks to unfair immigration policies of the U.S., Canada and Britain at the time). The film is basically a collection of videotaped interviews with several seniors who were there as children and teens, the collective largely cut off from dire news back home. Life in Shanghai wasn't a picnic, but the subjects freely admit that the Chinese—then under Japanese oppression—had it even worse, though outside of one Chinese historian, the deeper relationship between the two cultures isn't explored very deeply. Their interviews are intercut with personal photos and stock footage, though much of the latter isn't directly from the settlement, but rather public-domain wartime clips you've probably seen a million times before.

HELL'S ANGELS (1930) 8/10
    Wow! I'd read about this one over the past couple of decades in various film books I have, but never got a chance to see it until now. Shot as a silent by Howard Hughes—and an epic one at that—then largely re-shot (!) as a talkie once the latter became the norm during its long, very expensive production. The story even by 1930 pre-code standards must've been familiar stuff: two rowdy ace pilots (Ben Lyon, James Hall) falling for the same trashy woman (a fairly awkward Jean Harlow in her first starring role — one can't help but wonder if her stage name was deliberately chosen because it sounded like "harlot" with a French accent!). But the flying sequences are positively jaw-dropping, and frankly better choreographed and shot than similar sequences in countless films made years (and decades!) afterward. Hughes (and whomever helped design the aerial battles) make sure you never lose your geographical bearings during these lengthy sequences, and those are the real stars flying the plane and even standing up in the cockpit at regular intervals! There's also a protracted, explosive battle between a zeppelin and a squadron of fighter planes that surely must have pushed the art of miniatures to all new extremes. Apparently Hughes put unused aerial footage from this film to use in two others, and sold even more of it to other productions. This film really deserves the Criterion treatment; the Universal DVD is criminally barebones.

O LUCKY MAN! (1983) 8/10

PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED (1986) 6/10
    Nicholas Cage will make or break this film for you.

KAMIKAZE GIRLS (2004; Japan) 8/10
    Better than I thought it would be, what with the singularly twee looking "Lolita" girl that has haunted me on the DVD sleeve of this since the day it was first released.

WAITING FOR SUPERMAN (2010) 8/10
    A searing indictment of the U.S. education system that posits "charter schools" (themselves not without their critics) and the quality of education they've been proven to offer as one possible solution, as well as the introduction of merit-based pay and the abolition of teachers' unions in the public system. Obviously, unions and teachers who love them didn't like this movie. The film follows a handful of lower-class kids as they pin their dreams on being accepted to charter schools, a process

JINDABYNE (2006; Australian) 8/10

DUEL IN THE SUN (1946) 6/10
    Definitely deserves its reputation as a handsome turkey. Another Jennifer Jones mixed-race romancer (see LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING) above, and producer David O. Selznick's misguided attempted to out-do GONE WITH THE WIND, but the final product is so overheated it generates more amusement than amazement.

THE LADYKILLERS (1955) 8/10

BLACK SWAN (2010) 8/10

Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Brian, I probably have asked you in the past, but do you do any online list site like http://www.icheckmovies.com ? I would love to know what classics you have seen and have not Smile.
    Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 pm

I use IMDB's star-rating system. Figured I might as well stick with the big boys for something like this. I started using it about a year ago, but didn't realize you could make it public until I just looked now. Hopefully it's visible here (remove the spaces, of course). Click the list view to see more entries on a page, and without the big posters:

http://www. imdb .com/user/ur7335931/ratings

I'm up to 3,748 movies listed, but that's nowhere near the total I've seen, so it's a work in progress to be sure. Furthermore, I've generally left Asian stuff off the list—in part because a LOT of the HK movies I've watched aren't even on there—but I find myself adding them with more frequently; that would be another couple thousand right there! Laughing Because I started using this feature fairly recently, a lot of movies get added when my memory is jogged by reading an article, seeing an old trailer, thinking of other roles an actor has played or a director has directed, etc (so viewing the list by 'date added' doesn't necessarily represent the order in which I watched the movies).

At some point, I should unearth my old newspaper columns, as they contain a ton of 90's-era B-movies and DTV stuff I've practically forgotten about! (Incidentally, I just test-searched a few such titles at iCheckMovies and got no hits, whereas IMDB has them all).

I really love the fact that IMDB's iPhone/iPod app (which is excellent by the way; too bad the HKMDB will likely never have one Sad ) allows for speedy rating and cross-referencing to find other movies to rate with a couple of simple taps.

Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Brian T wrote:I use IMDB's star-rating system. Figured I might as well stick with the big boys for something like this. I started using it about a year ago, but didn't realize you could make it public until I just looked now. Hopefully it's visible here (remove the spaces, of course). Click the list view to see more entries on a page, and without the big posters:

Thanks, I bookmarked that. However for icheckmovies you can actually import your IMDB ratings. It is really easy. It has a pretty good interface as well. IMDB doesn't seem to have a compare function.
    Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Here is my IMDB Link(missing a few thousand, but I've been using it for the past few years for ratings as well).
    Here is my Icheck link
    Here is my listsofbests
    Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:55 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Thanks, I bookmarked that. However for icheckmovies you can actually import your IMDB ratings. It is really easy. It has a pretty good interface as well. IMDB doesn't seem to have a compare function.

My only concern about starting up a second list—beyond the time factor to maintain both of them—is the fact that iCheckMovies doesn't seem to have as many titles as IMDB. If I port over my IMDB list, does iCheck automatically create entries for all the movies that don't already exist there, or do I have to wait until they're added? And what's a compare function?

Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Brian T wrote:
    Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Thanks, I bookmarked that. However for icheckmovies you can actually import your IMDB ratings. It is really easy. It has a pretty good interface as well. IMDB doesn't seem to have a compare function.

My only concern about starting up a second list—beyond the time factor to maintain both of them—is the fact that iCheckMovies doesn't seem to have as many titles as IMDB. If I port over my IMDB list, does iCheck automatically create entries for all the movies that don't already exist there, or do I have to wait until they're added? And what's a compare function?

Compares are usually behavior where one person can compare with another on what he has seen. Both listsofbests and icheck have that (also icheck you can compare with their main lists as well). If you wanted to see what we have in common or not in common with icheck for example you could easily do that.

I understand the problem with keeping up different lists. Of the three links I put above you will see much different behavior and also different numbers of what I have watched Very Happy. icheck does have a lot of films though. I'm not sure if it creates the movie or not -- that is a good question and one I'm sure you would find out soon enough. Now with Icheck you could easily import your IMDB watches say once a month so it really isn't a lot of work for you though.
    Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks for the info. Something to ponder, at least . . .

I notice on your IMDB list that you rank short films as well. I've been thinking lately that I should've been doing more of that all along, as I've watched quite a few. Seems like every Warner classic DVD had one or more on them for the better part of the last decade, and then there were the various silent shorts I've seen in the past couple of years. I did rank a few from the silent Avant Garde set I signed out a few weeks back, as well as a vivid Technicolor curiosity that was included on the DAMES disc, but I've really missed a lot of opportunities on that front. I think I've been subconsciously limiting my list to feature films, which is a bit biased.
    Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Brian T wrote:Thanks for the info. Something to ponder, at least . . .

I notice on your IMDB list that you rank short films as well. I've been thinking lately that I should've been doing more of that all along, as I've watched quite a few. Seems like every Warner classic DVD had one or more on them for the better part of the last decade, and then there were the various silent shorts I've seen in the past couple of years. I did rank a few from the silent Avant Garde set I signed out a few weeks back, as well as a vivid Technicolor curiosity that was included on the DAMES disc, but I've really missed a lot of opportunities on that front. I think I've been subconsciously limiting my list to feature films, which is a bit biased.

I just started doing shorts a year or two ago. I missed so many opportunities on that as well. It's as good as any time to start Smile.
    Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (2002: Dai Sijie) China/France ***/****

There are many films that deal with China’s Cultural Revolution and aftermath, but this is the calmest one I have seen. There is a terror lurking underneath, but vastly veiled or hidden if one is not familiar with what can happen to you if your behavior is complained to higher authority.

Ma (Lie Ye: Curse of the Golden Flower) and Lu (Chen Kun: Let the Bullets Fly) are two friends part of the “Down to the Countryside Movement” in which bourgeois youths (or whose parents were considered bourgeois) are sent to remote areas to learn farming and remove any potential capitalist ideas. They get to move liquid fertilizer (dung) for farming and excavate materials out of tiny caves.

They both fall for a beautiful seamstress (Zhou Xun: True Legend) who falls for Lu who is the more aggressive of the two. They steal a bunch of non-approved books including several from Balzar from a “reeducated youth” who just left. The two spend their spare time reading to the little seamstress and teaching her how to read herself. There is not any conflict between the three even those Ma pines for the seamstress.

It is a beautiful filmed movie with not much in antagonists or drama except for the strange coda that does not help the film. It goes abruptly over two decades into the future and one character returns to the area which will soon be filled for the Three Gorges Dam.

I like this film, but I would recommend first watching Farewell my Concubine, The Blue Kite and To Live if you are interested in various periods under Chairman Mao.
    Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Chronicle (2012: Josh Trank)

My first 2012 film watched. I wanted to get to this before it got out of the theater. I had tried to stay away from reviews and trailers of this as much as possible, so I was fairly surprised how brooding and dark the film became.

I am not the biggest fan of teen dramas and the film starts off as a troubled teen Andrew who has decided to just start filming everything including that of his dying mom and alcoholic dad. His cousin Matt is his closest friend, but they really are not that close. Besides his family issues, Andrew’s life is one of a depressed teen who gets picked on, does not connect well with others and is generally doleful. All of this changes when at a party Andrew gets cajoled into taking his camera by Steve (Michael J. Jordan), Matt’s friend, into a deep dark pit off in the woods. Why they would risk going into a cave in the dark (kids are stupid) from the ground, I do not know but they connect with these crystal formations they find.

Soon they have an ability to move things. That’s telekinesis, Kyle. How they react with their new powers seems realistic with what a teenager would do. Soon they also realize how dangerous it is to others as well as the danger they put themselves in.

Since this is one of those “hand-held” films where every seen is taken from a camera in the existing world (a camera that exists in the film) whether from Andrew’s new camera which is the most prevalent to surveillance cameras in pertinent spots. While this technique is reminiscent to The Blair Witch Project it is more akin to Cloverfield (2008: Matt Reeves) in its use of hiding particular moments because of film issues, bigger budget for special effects, starting the film off innocently and its tone. A bit too much quesy-cam and I would have liked to see some of those shots with the camera not moving.

There are several scenes that are quite good. I don’t want to spoil them, but if anyone is interested in discussing I can put them in spoilers. Overall I liked the film. I liked the actors and the plot, though I am a little tired of the stereotypical hand-held direction.

Has anyone seen this? Interested in seeing this?
    Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Case de mi Padre (2012: Matt Piedmont) **/****:

I am still not sure what compelled me to watch this. There was this urge to go see it. Something about the trailer had me interested. The reviews on it were mostly mediocre, but I still had this morbid curiosity. Apparently I was the only one at that particular showing, well for about 15 minutes. I had the whole theater to myself and I liked it that way. This has never happened, but there was something cool about it, having the whole theater to yourself. I could walk around aimlessly while still staring at the screen. I could randomly change seats or talk to myself more than usual. Then a person came in about five minutes into the film. Dammit. Luckily he sat way at the bottom. My fear was he was going to sit directly in front of me or next to me, which would be weird, but has happened before.

Now back to the film: well it was there. There are a few funny moments, some interesting ideas, though in some instances it feels like a telenova influenced by Grindhouse techniques like bad footage, skipping frames, frames riding up. Now add in random mannequins used as people, too much nude footage of possibly Will Ferrell’s butt and too little comedy with a basic plot and that is pretty much the film.

Some are staying away from this because most of the film is in Spanish. I like subtitles (not all the words were translated which is a little annoying; English does not have subtitles like the non-English language Criterion titles) and Will’s Spanish is quite good (some reviews note the “American” accent). But the plot is so incredibly basic that you know most of the film from the beginning or all of it. There are too many missed opportunities that you start spotting areas where he could have added jokes or some surrealist gag or try a little harder with the action scenes. Maybe I was expecting too much.

You can stay past the credits to get an additional scene. It is nothing tremendously interesting or funny, but it is there and if you are a completist you will want to watch it. You notice a lot of crappy films do this.
    Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Case de mi Padre (2012: Matt Piedmont) **/****:
    Apparently I was the only one at that particular showing, well for about 15 minutes. I had the whole theater to myself and I liked it that way. This has never happened, but there was something cool about it, having the whole theater to yourself. I could walk around aimlessly while still staring at the screen. I could randomly change seats or talk to myself more than usual. Then a person came in about five minutes into the film. Dammit. Luckily he sat way at the bottom. My fear was he was going to sit directly in front of me or next to me, which would be weird, but has happened before.
    The moviegoing experience in California sounds rather . . . strange. Razz

Seriously, though, I do recall having theatres to myself on rare occasions. It probably cost them more to run the projector than they made from the single ticket they sold. Back in the late 90's and early 00's, I had an aunt who was a projectionist at the local nine-plex, and most Thursday nights the management would have her load up the next day's new releases (or more commonly the next day's most anticipated release) after the regular showings for the evening had let out, and the staff—and their friends or family—were basically allowed to stick around and watch the movies for free, to sort of "test" the print. She knew I was a movie nut, so naturally I got a regular invitation. The only downside was that she couldn't start them until well after midnight, and I always had to work the next day. But a free movie in a near-empty theatre was a free movie in a near-empty theatre! At most, there would be maybe five or six people at these things, but occasionally it was just me, which would make it a truly guilty experience in that I wasn't even an employee yet they still threaded up some picture for me anyways. I have to admit, those nights when I had the whole joint to myself were fantastic; no inane teenage chatter around me, nobody open-mouth chewing their food over my shoulder, nobody's hellspawn kicking the back of my chair, nothing. Looking back, it was bliss. Even now, I still try to see movies in theatres long after the opening week. Here in Toronto, holding off still requires you to share the theatre with a few kindred souls, but that long into any movie's run I've never encountered anyone misbehaving. By that point, it's down to the few stragglers who simply don't get much time to go to the movies, and they invariably want to get their money's worth in as much peace as possible, just as I do.

As for CASA, the trailer for this had me intrigued, as I've seen the occasional telenovella (or whatever they're called) that the filmmakers seem to be riffing on here, but I'll probably hold off until it's on disc. I read somewhere that it actually pulled in respectable box-office in limited release, but it doesn't really seem like the kind of thing that would gain broad appeal.
    Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Guess I should post my most recent round of screenings, even if there might only be two of us reading it at this point! Wink As usual, this is largely from the library:

CHICAGO (2002) 8/10
    Wasn't familiar with this musical before watching the movie, but came away liking it a lot. The director literally stages every musical number like it was the closing number of the show, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when film gives you the ability to do things that might kill a cast during a live production.

BICYCLE THIEVES (1948) 10/10
    Definitely one to get on Blu-ray if it ever happens. I've read pieces that suggest the film's place in the neo-realism pantheon isn't really earned because of its obviously high production values. Whether a viewer takes that to be true or not, it's still an excellent piece of socially-conscious storytelling.

CASE 39 (2009) 6/10
    Curiosity always pulls me to movies that sit on the shelf for extended periods, such as this one. it's definitely one of the better shelf-sitters I've seen, but it's still fairly average in the end.

MANUFACTURED LANDSCAPES (2006; Documentary) 8/10
    Fascinating, troubling documentary ostensibly about photographer Edward Burtynsky, who made a name for himself capturing landscapes brutalized by industry—specifically in China as it goes about mass-producing just about everything in the world today—but ultimately as much about Canadian director Jennifer Baichwal's attempts to put a human face on that same industry, something Burtynsky generally overlooks. The opening shot is a staggering 8-minute straight-line dolly down a single aisle of a cavernous Chinese factory that appears to be cranking out a plethora of exportable goods. It's a jawdropper of a hook that keeps immediately invests you in the picture.

THE DEAD (2010) 4/10
    Got this from Amazon Vine program. Drab zombie movie with a LOT of wasted potential, about a white American air force engineer and an African military sergeant thrown together to survive the aftermath of a largley-unexplained zombie apocalype (do filmmakers even bother explaining them anyore?). There's virtually no tension, as every new plot wrinkle ("Water for the radiator, or water for us?", "Why are you in our territory?", "I can't take your baby, ma'am!") are always resolved within seconds ("Hey look, a well!", "We're all friends now!", "Thank goodness, a passing truck filled with survivors to take this baby!"). In their commentary, the filmmakers state their intention wasn't to parachute into Africa like western journalists pointing out all the poor starving people, but the harrowing production stories they tell, most of them involving poor people, are precisely what would've made their film more realistic and compelling: small donations of cash inciting mobs; locals sabotaging vehicles to squeeze the crew for the cost of repairs; money for extras—often more than they earned at their hardscrabble day jobs—going missing with local "facilitators"; the orphanage used for the closing sequence (in which it doesn't actually play an orphanage) being kept perpetually dishevelled in so prospective adoptive parents would continue to make big donations. Even trace amounts of that material worked into the screenplay would've separated this from the countless zombie movies that have gone direct to video in the past decade, but the filmmakers let their misguided morality stand in their way

THE BOYS: THE SHERMAN BROTHERS' STORY (2009) 9/10

YOU'VE GOT MAIL (1998) 6/10
    Cute movie until the last 20 minutes or so, when it becomes rather creepy with bookstore chain honcho Tom Hanks using his advantageous knowledge about his anonymous online relationship with independent bookseller Meg Ryan to effectively stalk her. And she's happy about it when she finds out! Not sure how well that would fly today. While I would never formally review a movie like this by filtering it through the context of the ensuing 14 years, I must say its tough not to consider what has happened to ALL booksellers—large and small—in the years since it was released and the literary world started to shift online, a technology the makers of YOU'VE GOT MAIL could only see as a cutesy way of bringing people together romantically. In fact, as much as I generally didn't like it, a sequel to this would be most interesting, as both the protagonists would probably be unemployed!

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1946) 8/10
    One of the more famous noirs. Starts off great, but gets a bit too talky for its own good.

WEDDING CRASHERS (2005) 6/10

REINDEER GAMES (2000) 4/10

CAT AND THE CANARY (1978) 6/10

MARTY (1955) 8/10

JOAN RIVERS: A PIECE OF WORK (2010) 8/10

THE PALE FACE (1948) 7/10

SCARLET STREET (1945) 7/10
    Can't rate this as highly as a lot of the critics who regale it as an underrated noir masterpiece, but it's got a lot of choice moments. Joan Bennett and Dan Duryea are great as the scheming prostitute and her pimp (though the film never explicitly calls them what they are, for obvious reasons), but I don't quite buy Edward G. Robinson as the milquetoast office clerk and hobby painter who falls for Bennett only to have her start selling his paintings under her own name.

MOGULS & MOVIE STARS: A HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD (2010) 9/10

THE SHEIK (1921) 7/10
    SON OF THE SHEIK (1926) 7/10
    Two Valentino classics. The first one has a better plot, but a fairly lazy performance from Valentino, while the sequel showcases Valentino's vastly improved acting ability but surrounds it with a dull story, thus they pretty much balance each other out.

CRUMB (1994) 8/10

ALMOST FAMOUS (2000) 7/10

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO (2010) 7/10
    Pretty to look and well-directed, but I tend to share some of Shawn's sentiments from his separate post about this one, and posted comments there.

TEACHING MRS. TINGLE (1999) 4/10
    I was always curious about this picture because writer-director Kevin Williamson took it on after writing some trendy, not-bad teen thrillers in the couple of years leading up to it (SCREAM, I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER, THE FACULTY), but the picture's a dud, and a pretty strong case for why he never directed anything afterwards. Helen Mirren is ostensibly the film's villain, a shrewish high school teacher taken prisoner by three students when she finds them in possession of a set of test answers and threatens to expel wannabe class valedictorian Katie Holmes. The set-up has Mirren savaging her students' history projects in a sequence intended to curry our sympathy for the poor kids, but which instead makes us sympathize with Mrs. Tingle for having to sit through such senior-class "presentations" as one girl dressing up like Marilyn Monroe and talking about her affair with John F. Kennedy; another girl presenting a "pilgrim's diary" that looks more like a middle-aged woman's scrapbooking project; and a guy carelessly waving an authentic crossbow around the room and nearly killing another student! Williamson genuinely treats these dim bulbs without a hint of irony, which only makes everything Mirren says or does seem all the more right, even though that wasn't the writer's intention.

WOMAN OF THE YEAR (1942) 8/10

BROKEN BLOSSOMS (1919) 8/10

WAKING LIFE (2001) 8/10

UNKNOWN MARX BROTHERS (1993) 7/10

FAT GIRL (2001) 6/10
    Not a big fan of Breillat's work, but the library had the Criterion edition in stock, so I got through it, but man, what a drag.

BRICK (2005) 7/10
    Clever idea—high school film noir, with dialogue to match—but the novelty eventually wears off.

SCORE: A HOCKEY MUSICAL (2010) 4/10
    This movie opened the 2010 Toronto Film Festival and I can only imagine what an uncomfortable screening it must have been. Not something for Canadians to be proud of at all. The cast has some decent singers in it, but the songs, yeeesh! They're kinda like the songs in those sung-through musicals like LES MIZ or MISS SAIGON, except that this isn't a sung-through movie musical, so they just stop the film dead to state things that could be said in two or three lines of dialogue. Saddest of all was watching one of our coolest character actors, Stephen McHattie, give it the old college but And then there's the strange "celebrity" cameos: Theo Fleury, Wayne Gretzky's dad and, in the deleted scenes, Margaret Atwood and Dan "Sometimes When We Touch" Hill! Seriously?

BERLIN EXPRESS (1948) 8/10
    Optimistic, exciting thriller that has an American, a Brit, a Russian and a Frenchwoman teaming up in the post-WWII ruins of Frankfurt to rescue an German emissary from the hands of fanatical Nazis desperate to undermine peace efforts. In addition to be a solid espionage yarn with a bittersweet hook that comes from knowing the Cold War was just around the corner, BERLIN EXPRESS is also a compelling historical document due to its being shot almost entirely on location. Got this from the Warner Archive collection.

WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER (2001) 5/10
    The writer-director of this unfunny comedy has been promising a sequel for years, and I'm thankful that no one has yet allowed him to make it. This is supposed to be a warped throwback to what was apparently a flourishing subgenre of summer camp movies during the late 70's and early 80's, though outside of MEATBALLS and maybe a couple of T&A-heavy variants, I don't really recall enough of them to justify a spoof like this.

THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1968) 5/10
    If this were a coffee-table photography book, it would be fascinating to thumb through, but since it's a movie, it shouldn't really just sit there like a coffee table book, yet that's what it does. I'm truly baffled at the legacy surrounding this film, easily the laziest of Norman Jewison's career.

THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1999) 6/10
    This is only a slight improvement on the original, by virtue of the addition of an actual plot that makes sense, and a peppy score by Bill Conti, but it still suffers from the postcard-itis of its predecessor. This was the first of four movies that would put paid to John McTiernan's career (not to mention that wiretapping business that got him sentenced to prison, of course).

HOOP DREAMS (1994) 8/10

WAKING SLEEPING BEAUTY (2009) 8/10

DR. MABUSE, THE GAMBLER (1922) 8/10

THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE (1933) 8/10

LAVENDER HILL MOB (1951) 9/10

THE MECHANIC (2011) 7/10

THE LIVES OF OTHERS (2006) 9/10

THE GHOST & MRS. MUIR (1947) 9/10

MAO'S LAST DANCER (2009) 8/10

DAMES (1934) 7/10

TWILIGHT (2008) 5/10
    NEW MOON (2009) 4/10
    TWILIGHT: ECLIPSE (2010) 5/10
    I guess you have to be a pre-pubescent girl to fully appreciate the appeal of these yawn-fests, but I figured I should at least try, considering their daunting popularity. If this is the kind of pap that young girls think is deeply compelling, then I worry for young girls.

CORMAN'S WORLD: EXPLOITS OF A HOLLYWOOD REBEL (2011) 8/10
    Saw this on a whim at the newly (and thankfully) restored Bloor St. Cinema here, a rep house in here in Toronto that is home to the annual Hot Docs festival and its various offspring throughout the year. CORMAN'S WORLD is a long-overdue career retrospective of Roger Corman and the wonderful world of B-movies he's largely famous for. The interviewee list is might impressive, and comprises nearly all of the Big Names™️ who launched their careers under his aegis: Martin Scorcese, Ron Howard, Jack Nicholson (who actually cries on camera), Peter Bogdanovich, Peter Fonda, Polly Platt, Joe Dante, Alan Arkush, Robert DeNiro, Bruce Dern, Pam Grier, Dick Miller (woohoo!), John Sayles, David Carradine, Irvin Kershner and quite a few others, including Corman himself. The timing is probably apt, as the man's well into his 80's now and still producing up a storm, albeit with invariably crappy SyFy movies, one of which is shown under construction throughout the doc. Of all the clips shown—and there are many—I think there was only one movie I don't own or haven't seen, but it was great to see them peppered among so many great stories behind their making. Only a couple of beefs about this: the funky flash-animated sequence midway through the picture (which utilizes imagery from classic Corman movie posters) should really have been at the beginning, and the technique used more often throughout, and I really didn't care to hear input from the likes of Eli Roth (whose films and personality I generally dislike) and Paul W.S. Anderson, neither of whom are Corman graduates, as far as I know.

PLANET EARTH (2006; Documentary Series) 9/10

KUNG-FU PANDA 2 (2011) 7/10

SOUL KITCHEN (2009) 7/10
    Hollywood should remake this German trifle. It's cute, even mildly amusing, but it never really reaches the highs (or achives the narrative focus) that it should.

Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:04 pm

A few more. The library folks here have been on strike for the past week, so this finally gave me a chance to plow through a few of my own acquisitions (some of which are destined to be sold off at last!):

STOLEN FACE (1952) 7/10
    BLACKOUT (1954) 8/10
    These are both on Vol. 2 of the Hammer Noir DVD series. First time I'd seen anything from the Studio's crime thriller era, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good these were. They're not quite among the lofty ranks of the U.S. noir classics, but they're finely-tuned little suspensers nonetheless, especially BLACKOUT, which has down-on-his-luck Dane Clark waking up from a bender with a new bride and a dead father-in-law, and a very short period of time to figure out just what he's been implicated in. STOLEN FACE is kind of a light version of EYES WITHOUT A FACE, with reconstructive surgeon Paul Heinreid "resurfacing" a female ex-con to look like the cultured spring fling who dumped him, only to have the latter suddenly come back into his life. Both are directed by Terence Fisher, who would go on to much acclaim with many of Hammer's famed horror productions.

DEATH RACE (2008) 6/10
    I was willing to accept this on its own B-movie terms — those mostly-authentic car stunts certainly helped — but I had serious trouble thinking an online audience of 70 million wouldn't start demanding refunds once they realized how much — and how obviously — pinch-faced prison matron Joan Allen was actually sabotaging the games.

RED CORNER (1997) 7/10
    It's hard to appreciate Bai Ling's fine work in this picture without being reminded of the flake she was/is in real life. Kind of a shame to see such a talent reduced in recent years, and largely by her own doing, to direct-to-video junk that most often requires her to play viper types in very little clothing. As for the movie itself, it was clearly Richard Gere's (and, according to the commentary, the director's) not-so-subtle soapbox rant against the Chinese legal system, but I was somewhat surprised that the ending at least offers a glimmer of hope.

THE LAST AIRBENDER (2010) 3/10
    My fascination with train-wrecks forced me to track this down, and it's every bit as bad as I'd heard it was. I've only seen snippets of the TV series, but the critical and fan pounding the movie took revealed a lot of the liberties taken by director M. Night Shyamalan, who was clearly working outside of his comfort zone. How the studio ever agreed to let him write his own script is beyond me.

PRIMEVAL (2005) 5/10
    Killer gator movie hampered by superficial political subtext and budget that didn't allow the creature to be seen on screen as often as it needed to be.

CORALINE (2009) 8/10

EXOTICA (1994) 7/10
    This is one of the more watchable films from Canada's Atom Egoyan prior to his later-day ventures into more accessible features, but it's still prone to the kind of navel-gazing that put me off most of his movies that I saw from that era.

Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:19 am

Brian T wrote: ...The moviegoing experience in California sounds rather . . . strange. Razz

Seriously, though, I do recall having theatres to myself on rare occasions. It probably cost them more to run the projector than they made from the single ticket they sold. Back in the late 90's and early 00's, I had an aunt who was a projectionist at the local nine-plex, and most Thursday nights the management would have her load up the next day's new releases (or more commonly the next day's most anticipated release) after the regular showings for the evening had let out, and the staff—and their friends or family—were basically allowed to stick around and watch the movies for free, to sort of "test" the print. She knew I was a movie nut, so naturally I got a regular invitation. The only downside was that she couldn't start them until well after midnight, and I always had to work the next day. But a free movie in a near-empty theatre was a free movie in a near-empty theatre! At most, there would be maybe five or six people at these things, but occasionally it was just me, which would make it a truly guilty experience in that I wasn't even an employee yet they still threaded up some picture for me anyways. I have to admit, those nights when I had the whole joint to myself were fantastic; no inane teenage chatter around me, nobody open-mouth chewing their food over my shoulder, nobody's hellspawn kicking the back of my chair, nothing. Looking back, it was bliss. Even now, I still try to see movies in theatres long after the opening week. Here in Toronto, holding off still requires you to share the theatre with a few kindred souls, but that long into any movie's run I've never encountered anyone misbehaving. By that point, it's down to the few stragglers who simply don't get much time to go to the movies, and they invariably want to get their money's worth in as much peace as possible, just as I do.

As for CASA, the trailer for this had me intrigued, as I've seen the occasional telenovella (or whatever they're called) that the filmmakers seem to be riffing on here, but I'll probably hold off until it's on disc. I read somewhere that it actually pulled in respectable box-office in limited release, but it doesn't really seem like the kind of thing that would gain broad appeal.

Thanks for the story. I didn't notice this post as I had previously read the posting below it with the ratings and then the latest post.

I love going during the day as it normally has, by far, the best patrons. The worst, by far, is the weekend. Older patrons are usually much better to be around, teenagers together tend to be the worst. I've had exceptions (one elder had a bluetooth on that was flashing and flashing and flashing), but teenagers and their damn cellphones are a freaking nuisance.

FYI: Hoop Dreams and Crumb I both give 10/10 Very Happy. Pretty much dead on for the Valentino classics.

I've been working on a project for awhile (so far over 7000 words), if you are interested I could show you it. But I have awhile to go to finish it.

Quick questions: have you seen Triple Tap, Twins Mission 2 (aka Twins Effect 2 aka many other names) or Plain Jane to the Rescue (1982: John Woo)? Comments on those would be interested. The John Woo film is surprisingly good, found some interesting info on it.
    Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm intrigued by this project you mention. Definitely interested, even if you just want to send part of it. I've had one on the go myself for a few years, so perhaps we can swap some pages . . .

Haven't seen any of those three pictures but, as with so many others, I do own them. Still abstaining until I've edumacated myself just a little bit longer. Laughing

That said, here are a few more recent viewings, some from the library which is back in business, for now:

REPO MEN (2010) 5/10
    Mediocre Canadian-shot sci-fi picture that blatantly acknowledges its debt to the "liver donation" sketch from MONTY PYTHON'S MEANING OF LIFE, then provide less (and less clever) subtext and commentary in nearly two hours than the sketch did in ten minutes! Worse, you'd think a corporation that sells insidiously-priced artificial organs (just like the ones John Carradine hoped to take mainstream in THE ASTRO ZOMBIES!!) to a healthcare starved public would incorporate kill switches in the devices to prevent payment defaults, rather than sending serial killers (which is exactly what Jude Law and Forrest Whittaker are in this, despite the filmmakers wanting us to sympathize with them) to eviscerate people in public places (!) to retrieve them. You'd think even a single witness to such carnage would be enough to start the tide turning against the corporation, but the writers and director certainly didn't. There are kernels of interesting ideas at play in this, but utilizing them effectively would mean the whole project would have had to be restarted at the script stage.

TALES OF THE GIMLI HOSPITAL (1989) 7/10
    Inspired weirdness and the debut feature from Canada's inspired weirdo Guy Maddin. Framed like an Icelandic folk tale told to the children of dying woman, the framing device itself presented as something out of a century-old storybook. Maddin's bleak, isolated world springs from a mix of expressionism, surrealism, silent cinema technique and classroom hygiene films (with a deliberately tinny, muffled soundtrack for good measure). Performances are roundly amateurish, if heartfelt, but the director's visual peculiarity holds most of the interest.

THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM (1944) 8/10
    Young priest Gregory Peck is sent to China to establish a parish, and over the course of many years, experiences countless setbacks — distrust, poverty, disease, war, "rice Christians" — before eventually winning over the locals. The native roles here are played largely by Chinese-Americans (including the venerable Benson Fong), many of whom clearly speak English as a first language, but since that's not uncommon to films of the era it's hardly a patch on the film. While the Chinese spoken is Mandarin (to varying degrees of conviction depending on the cast member speaking), the filmmakers also include a scene that allows Peck to learn the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese. Laguna and Malibu double for China, according to the commentary. The landscape may not feel totally authentic, but the sets and costumes are probably as close as Hollywood could come at the time. Peck's Oscar nomination for this film, only his second, was well-earned. Peck's lifelong atheist friend (Thomas Mitchell) was more or less an avatar for producer Joseph Mankiewicz. Mankiewicz' ill-fated wife, Rosa Stradner, does alright as the terse Reverend-Mother sent to handle the Church's affairs, but overall she comes off a bit cold, even after her character supposedly warms to Peck's methods. This would be her last film.

GORKY PARK (1983) 7/10
    Solid police procedural.

THE HOT SPOT (1990) 7/10
    Solid little modern noir number, with Don Johnson surprisingly well-cast as a shady stranger who ingratiates himself into a sweaty southern town where his robbery of the local bank doesn't mix well with the effects of his steamy romantic triangle with his boss' sweet-natured secretary (Jennifer Connolly) and scheming bombshell of a wife (Virginia Madsen). You have to hand it to director Dennis Hopper for even getting this made — and so well — in a era where big budget tentpoles were all the rage. Only someone who was actually around during the era of the classic noirs, and their dark, simple charms, could have made this as good as it is. The only major flaw is the two-hour running time. Shorn of 20-25 minutes, this would be a real corker on par with some of the 40's greats. Then again, as it stands, it would be difficult to know what to cut, so effective are Hopper's images.

AMERICAN HISTORY X (1999) 7/10
    Edward Norton is gives a mesmerizing performance in this sometimes maddeningly naive, unambiguous take on race relations in contemporary America. The whole is certainly compelling, but many of its parts are not convincing, mainly because there's enough meat in both of the main components — the present-day sequences, shot in colour, in which newly-paroled Norton aspires to some kind of redemption for both himself and little brother Edward Furlong, and the flashback sequences, shot in black and white, which show the vicious ideology that led to his incarceration — that either portion could've been expanded into a more effective movie in its own right.
    Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:33 pm

Since last time . . .

(no reviews this time, since traffic's pretty light around here and I can use the time for more movies! Laughing )

SOURCE CODE (2011) 8/10
    DIE NIBELUNGEN: SIEGFRIED (1924) 9/10
    DIE NIBELUNGEN: KRIEMHILD'S REVENGE (1924) 9/10
    THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (1928) 9/10
    HALLOWEEN II (1981) 5/10
    TERROR IN THE AISLES (1984) 7/10
    Finally got to see this! It's a bonus feature on the Halloweed II Blu-ray
    BLOODRAYNE (2005) 3/10
    I've seen far worse director's than Uwe Boll, but few worse storytellers . . .
    CAMILLE (1921) 7/10
    CAMILLE (1936) 8/10
    THE EDGE OF HEAVEN (2007) 8/10
    THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE (1955) 7/10
    BIG WEDNESDAY (1978) 6/10
    JUST FRIENDS (2005) 6/10
    THE DEVIL'S REJECTS (2005) 7/10
    FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD (1967) 7/10
    ANDROID (1982) 7/10
    POM WONDERFUL PRESENTS: THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER SOLD (2011) 8/10
    WINNEBAGO MAN (2009) 8/10
    THE PIANO (1993) 9/10
    UMBERTO D (1952) 9/10
    THE JAZZ SINGER (1927) 7/10
    BELLFLOWER (2011) 6/10
    THE HELP (2011) 8/10
    WAIT UNTIL DARK (1967) 7/10
    ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (1930) 9/10
    THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY (1979) 8/10

By the way, Shawn, I haven't forgotten about your project! Wink
    Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

The Hunger Games (2012: Gary Ross)

It is easy to find similarities between films as well as between books. But I do wonder how Suzanne Collins can claim that she never heard of the film Battle Royale? There are so many similarities between the two. I wouldn't call it a rip-off or a remake but more of a re-imagining, but still there are way too many coincidences (way too many). Just type in "battle royale hunger games" in Google and you get way too many links that discuss this topic with every imaginable position taken.

The cinematography starts off annoying with overused shaky hand-held even for conversation scenes. I noticed the edge bounce back and forth and I keep having to divert my eyes back to the characters to pay attention to the dialog. The action scenes have the same issue as many films of late in which the camera just goes berserk as if Michael Bay's spirit was in control. This type of action really annoys me because it is shoddy, it takes away from potentially interesting fight/action scenes and it just seems so cheap.

I actually like the film (giving it either a **½ or *** out of ****). It isn't great, it's derivative and it certainly is not among the better dystopian movies, but there is a certain charm with the lead actress (not necessarily believable, but I'm not sure anything in the film was), her relationships and I'm glad they spent more time building up to the contest (though Woody Harrelson's alcoholic trainer character has been done over-and-over). Though there was some introspection by the characters in the movie, one would expect more for individuals put into this situation. The ending of the contest was so-so with one idiotic twist coming late (I know it was in the book) and yes bureaucrats can be that stupid (you hope they won't ...), but it was just annoying. Of course it easily leads to a sequel which we already know is coming because the box office has been so good as well as there are two other books.

The Three Stooges (2012: Bobby Farrelly, Peter Farrelly) **½/****

The actors who portray the Three Stooges do quite a good job. They look like the Stooges, they sound like the Stooges and they act like the Stooges or at least a close enough facsimile. While it is not unusual to have many actors linked to a film before it comes out, this one has had some big, yet strange names like Sean Penn and Jim Carrey. Ultimately the spirit of the Stooges was served well with the actors they picked. However, the film could have used a better plot.

The idea of interlinking three episodes into the narrative akin to their more famous shorts was appropriate. I thought taking the structure from both The Blues Brothers and Fletch were not inspired ideas. The whole film was like a mixture of Animaniacs sketch of Good Idea, Bad Idea. Larry David as a nun – that was funny and disturbing, well mostly disturbing, using the cast of Jersey Shore -- that was OK but I thought it would have been better without them and it is a topical gag that will probably be completely unfunny in a few years (I hope this is the case; the gag might have been funnier to me if I had actually seen an episode of the show).

There were several sketches that I found quite hilarious (won’t spoil mentioning them). Most of them were hybrid mixes of Stooges jokes and Farrelly’s own sense of humor. There were plenty of gags and pokes and hammer hits straight from the old material, some of which get tiring after awhile and some of them are painfully funny. If there was a better plot and if more original material was used I think this could have been a very funny comedy.

I like, but not love the earlier Stooges. They were at their best after Ted Healy and before Shemp during their early Columbia years when they were at their most anarchist and most healthy. But they repeated so much of their material, even early on, that if you are new to the Stooges, you probably will enjoy them more if you do not watch them in chronological order or too many in a row.

As usual with many comedies, stick around during the credits for singing and additional comedy scenes. It did not happen right when the credits started so everybody was out except for me (I was thinking there was going to be an additional scene after the credits, but there was none).

Useless info: I saw a second version of the Dark Shadows trailer. I’m really looking forward to that film which means I’ll probably be annoyed after watching it.

Speaking of topical jokes:

Lydia: Those 3 idiots are here!
    Mac: The Kardashian sisters?
    Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Parlor, Bedroom and Bath (1931: Edward Sedgwick) **½/****

I was surprised that this was actually decent, though I would not state that this is near the sagaciousness of his silent movies or his better shorts with Educational. I would rank this in-between his Educational shorts where several are much worse and several are much better.

The outside shots of the “Italian Villa” including the pool and Keaton climbing down a terrace are actually shots of his own house. Though I do not believe they filmed “in” the house. He would only own the property for a few more years due to his divorce to Natalie Talmadge.

The movie starts off quite slow. There are few gags here and there including one nice chase where Buster gets to show a little of his physical humor. There is also a typical early 1930s problem of using a static camera because of the placement of the sound devices. There are cuts, but very little to no movement of the camera which creates a stifling atmosphere. But it is the last 20 minutes with its non-stop action that makes the film more worthy to watch.

Though this was based on a play by C.W. Bell and Mark Swan and apparently this was also a remake of a 1920 film (I do not think this is extant). You can see many shades of Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew in the plot.

While this is not prime Buster material, I do think fans of Keaton might enjoy this. It is also interesting from a “pre-code” viewpoint as well, though this farce is not as risqué as some of the DeMille or Von Sternberg pictures of this time. Keaton is misused, but this is nothing compared to some of the dumb characters they made him play in the Columbia shorts. Charlotte Greenwood (Oklahoma (1955)) is good as the lanky and tall Polly who was paid to teach Buster in the ways of womanizing. Criterion fans will recognize Reginald Denny (Jeffrey Haywood, the instigator of this whole farce) who was Frank Crawley in Rebecca (1940).

I watched this on the Industrial Strength Keaton release. The film looks good though there are no subtitles. It also has a commentary that comes with it (the set lists Andy Coryell, Paul Gierucki, Bruce Lawton, Steve Massa and Richard M. Roberts, but there are only four on that commentary). I’ll compare this print to the recent MGM DVD-R release of Buster Keaton at MGM Triple Feature when I get that. But it does not look like the MGM release has the extras or commentary that this set has.
    Cash
    Cash

Post  Cash Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Classic. I haven't seen it in years though. I should check my local library which has a healthy selection of past and present Criterion releases (including the much coveted OOP "Hard Boiled").

HALLOWEEN II (1981) 5/10

Agreed. This film has the right ingredients to be competitive with its predecessor but would rather ape the inferior product inspired by the original sleeper and apparently at the behest of John Carpenter?

Good film; I'm willing to bet you've at least heard of the trashy Canadian remake "Class of 1984" co-starring a young local then going by the name of Michael Fox.

JUST FRIENDS (2005) 6/10

I've met a few people who have a fondness for this film. As for me I can only claim to have seen enough of it on TV to get the gist of the plot without being able to form much of an opinion. Coincidentally, 5-6 years ago I dropped just as much weight as the protagonist and have never looked back. Unfortunately, it's hardly translated into the same hedonistic lifestyle as the one Ryan Reynolds enjoyed.

An improvement over "House of a 1000 Corpses" and probably the best Rob Zombie has had to offer thus far in what can only be described as a letdown of a career behind the camera.

Fascinating but empty. We find the chest of gold but the filmmakers never open it up.

THE PIANO (1993) 9/10

So this one holds up? I haven't seen it since it premiered on VHS.

UMBERTO D (1952) 9/10

One of the saddest films I have ever seen and one of the best films to come out of the Italian neo-realism movement. A personal favorite, too.

Brian T
    Brian T

Post  Brian T Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Wow, wasn't expecting anyone to chime in so fast! Smile

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:The Hunger Games (2012: Gary Ross)It is easy to find similarities between films as well as between books. But I do wonder how Suzanne Collins can claim that she never heard of the film Battle Royale? There are so many similarities between the two. I wouldn't call it a rip-off or a remake but more of a re-imagining, but still there are way too many coincidences (way too many). Just type in "battle royale hunger games" in Google and you get way too many links that discuss this topic with every imaginable position taken.

We were supposed to see this on the weekend, but the plans fell apart. Still planning on catching it, if only because of BATTLE ROYALE and the ongoing controversy surrounding the pair. It's truly amazing to see how prickly HUNGER GAMES fans seem to get over the subject at various forums (particularly IMDB, but then who would expect any less). You'd swear they were debating the coincidental inventing of moveable type in both Europe and Korea back in the day. "It's possible, you know, it happens all the time!! See?!?". I think the problem stems from the HUNGER GAMES book working its magic on a YA audience that, for the most part, was not aware of the Japanese film and its literary parent. They're so enamoured of the newer work that they simply will themselves into believing that Collins concocted all of it without ever having so much as heard of BATTLE ROYALE. I haven't been reading much of the debate in recent months, so I'm glad to hear you confirm what so many have long suspected.

Can't remember where I read it, but there was an interesting piece criticizing the film (and maybe the book?) for not really providing a convincing milieu in which the events take place; i.e. the "world" of the future not really adding up if you thought about it too hard. Actually, I do remember now, it was at the AVClub:
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/hunger-games-vs-the-stand-do-dystopian-and-doomsda,72309/

One thing that bugged me from the moment I saw the first trailer was the garish costumes and makeup worn by many of the supporting characters. I'm sure it makes sense in context, but I've rarely developed a lasting fondness for sci-fi movies that put their characters in flamboyant outfits that seem to have no organic evolution from our present-day duds behind them. The game wear seems alright, I guess, but still . . .

As for the STOOGES, seeing just one Jersey Shore cast member (or any disgusting reality TV fame whores for that matter) in the trailer was enough to me skip this one until it turns up in the $5 Walmart bin, by which time the reference will definitely not be funny. Laughing

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cash wrote:
    Classic. I haven't seen it in years though. I should check my local library which has a healthy selection of past and present Criterion releases (including the much coveted OOP "Hard Boiled").
    As you can probably tell from this thread, in the past couple of years, I've become a big advocate of pillaging your local library for whatever they've got. There's only so much time available in one life, and if you wait to buy all the things you want to see, or see again — even at a bargain price — you just won't outlive your must-see-list. Mind you, a few of the titles in the last post (DEVIL'S REJECTS, JUST FRIENDS and BLOODRAYNE) are from a trade I made with someone through Kijiji. I've been unloading my non-keeper junk two-for one (including much of the stuff I've received in trades). It's a good way to pick up less "important" movies that have always been on my radar but which I've been far too cheap to buy, even from bargain bins! Beyond that, though, the library's still my crack habit for the time being. Because it's the Toronto system, with 85 branches, they are more well-stocked than the one in my old city of 85,000, so that's a distinct advantage I have over the old me. If you search "Criterion Collection" at the Toronto library's website, you get back nearly 300 individual results back, and that's only part of what they have because many Criterions are not tagged/keyworded with the actual word "Criterion", so you only discover they carry them by searching specific titles out of curiosity. I've only just recently become aware that they carry a large number of the Eclipse titles. Mind you, I'd give anything to own a much larger, personal Criterion Collection than the one I have — a la Shawn (ahem!) — but this will have to do for now. Any titles I decide I really want based on these sign-outs end up in my cart during the Barnes & Noble sales, so if nothing else the Library's sort of like a catalog for me (not unlike most brick n' mortar stores are for so many folks these days).

Cash wrote:
    HALLOWEEN II (1981) 5/10
    Agreed. This film has the right ingredients to be competitive with its predecessor but would rather ape the inferior product inspired by the original sleeper and apparently at the behest of John Carpenter?
    I'd seen major chunks of this on TV over the years, but never in its entirety. It's almost galling that Carpenter actually wrote it because, as you say, it plays out just like any of the million ripoffs the original inspired. It's literally an "idiot plot" in action, something Carpenter usually aims to avoid . . . or so I thought. Actually, although it's not in the same genre, WAIT UNTIL DARK also suffers from a first-rate "idiot plot" that counts among its indiscretions a main character who never bothers to lock her door!

Cash wrote:
    Good film; I'm willing to bet you've at least heard of the trashy Canadian remake "Class of 1984" co-starring a young local then going by the name of Michael Fox.
    I have, but many moons ago. Should probably revisit it someday just to check it off at IMDB. Definitely not something the library would stock though . . . Very Happy
    EDIT: Scratch that; apparently they do! Laughing
    http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDM1496164&R=1496164
    See, this is why you check your library, people!

Cash wrote:
    JUST FRIENDS (2005) 6/10
    I've met a few people who have a fondness for this film. As for me I can only claim to have seen enough of it on TV to get the gist of the plot without being able to form much of an opinion. Coincidentally, 5-6 years ago I dropped just as much weight as the protagonist and have never looked back. Unfortunately, it's hardly translated into the same hedonistic lifestyle as the one Ryan Reynolds enjoyed.
    This could've been SO much better with a bit more effort. The concept and its treatment are reasonably original, and the characters have their charm, but it all sorta crumbles in the last act, opting for a hasty, feel-good wrap-up that doesn't ring true at all. It's got some good moments, though, and Anna Faris practically steals the show (again).

Cash wrote:
    An improvement over "House of a 1000 Corpses" and probably the best Rob Zombie has had to offer thus far in what can only be described as a letdown of a career behind the camera.
    Haven't seen HOUSE yet, but I have seen Zombie's HALLOWEEN do-overs, and while I had problems with all three of the pictures I've seen so far, I can't deny he's a powerhouse filmmaker, and DEVIL'S is easily his best to date. So rare to see a protagonist in this kind of pictures turn every bit as dangerous as his prey, and even nicer to be given an ending that doesn't set up a sequel. And you gotta give former TV mainstay Priscilla Barnes some credit for puttin' it all out there well into her middle age. Cool

Cash wrote:
    Fascinating but empty. We find the chest of gold but the filmmakers never open it up.
    I'm not sure they could've opened him up anymore than he ultimately let them. I suspect that Jack Rebney's hermit-like existence between shooting the infamous Winnebago video and this movie was so low-key it probably wouldn't make for interesting cinema anyways. The genuine audience admiration that greets him at the Found Footage Festival in the final reels (as well as the ensuing press tour, which isn't documented but can be seen all over YouTube) does seem to make up, at least in part, for many years of self-imposed bitterness, which you can't help but wonder if he suddenly regrets. It's just too bad his eyesight was no longer there to help his ears soak it all in. One of the bonus features on the disc shows Rebney and Ben Steinbauer attending the premier of the finished documentary. It's a nice extension to the film itself. The disc also includes the finished Winnebago promotional film, which proves beyond a doubt that — outtakes aside — Rebney comes off like a pro.

Cash wrote:
    THE PIANO (1993) 9/10
    So this one holds up? I haven't seen it since it premiered on VHS.
    Don't know how it holds up if you saw it back then. Everything about this movie was anathema to me from day one, most likely for no particular reason other than that looked like an artsy, blabby, costumer chick flick. Which it is, but it's a good one, and very refreshing for clearly espousing a woman's point of view on eroticism and attraction.

Masterofoneinchpunch
    Masterofoneinchpunch

Post  Masterofoneinchpunch Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Brian T wrote:... I've only just recently become aware that they carry a large number of the Eclipse titles. Mind you, I'd give anything to own a much larger, personal Criterion Collection than the one I have — a la Shawn (ahem!) — but this will have to do for now. ...

THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (1928) -- one of the great set designs in film that rarely show what was actually built. This is akin to THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE which had one of the most lavish designs I have ever seen in film (watch this movie), but much of it was never shown on screen. It bankrupted the production company of Samuel Bronston (I'm not sure if it did his personal fortune as well, but it hurt his reputation).

I've been concentrating on less Criterion the past few years, just because I have been working on so many different facets of cinema. I'll get back more into them soon and I want to get my Eclipse watching to at least 50 percent of that collection (I'm somewhere in the 40 percent). Criterion I'm about 65 percent watched (70+ percent owned).
    ewaffle
    ewaffle

Post  ewaffle Sun May 06, 2012 4:59 pm

EXOTICA (1994) 7/10
    This is one of the more watchable films from Canada's Atom Egoyan prior to his later-day ventures into more accessible features, but it's still prone to the kind of navel-gazing that put me off most of his movies that I saw from that era.

I have seen most of Egoyan's films, most of them several times. I was confused and intrigued--mainly confused about why I was intrigued-with "The Adjuster" the first one I encountered when it played at one of the few art houses here in southeast Michigan. I simply love his work although I can see why it would leave some viewers cold especially since my wife REALLY didn't like "The Adjuster" and saw no reason to watch anything by Egoyan ever again.

Even "Chloe", a movie he neither wrote nor produced, is a worth entry in his oeuvre; even putting Amanda Seyfried in the
    Emmanuelle Béart role almost worked.

Egoyan is an artist who makes me aware that I am thinking about how he is layering emotions, images and scenes more than the content of the scenes themselves (if that makes any sense).
    Cash
    Cash

Post  Cash Fri May 25, 2012 10:15 pm

The Dictator (2012) C

Larry Charles and Sacha Baron Cohen's "Borat" remains an almost peerless exercise in ambush comedy. While their follow-up suffered from diminishing returns partially because the audience was less likely to just blindly walk into one of the incognito comedian's traps along with his various marks now admittedly "Bruno" hit more than it missed even when Cohen strained for laughs by way of tripling his previous quotient in shock and awe.

"The Dictator," which is not a remake of Charlie Chaplin's critically hailed World War II farce "The Great Dictator" (1940) as initially reported instead feels more like a good SNL sketch warped to an 83 min runtime Cohen should have been able to support on his shoulders. Nevertheless, the comedic sniper just cannot seem to transcend any of the fun late night has been having at the expense of a number of the world's megalomaniacal foreign tyrants for decades on end now. It's not that Cohen's comedic well has run completely dry but even when you're chuckling loudly you'll swear you've seen the same set-up and pay-off on -- of all things -- an SNL sketch that was probably more consistent with laughs and spared us from being exposed to Cohen's genitalia (for the third time).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm